Sometimes the simplest things are the most elegant and satisfying. This almost-custard yogurt tart is one example. Strained yogurt, a little sugar, vanilla and some eggs are all there is to it, but the resulting marriage of the rich egg and yogurt flavors along with the sweetness of the sugar, all tied up in the aroma and taste of high quality vanilla is captivating.
Everyone expresses their approval with lots of “mmmm” sounds, not wanting to waste time or attention in talking. That’s when you know you’ve got something special!
Fresh eggs from your backyard chickens, ducks or geese will really make this memorable!
Baked Yogurt Tart
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 lb. labneh
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
Make the crust
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla until dough forms; press into bottom and up sides of a 9" Springform pan.
- Using a fork, prick dough all over.
- Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans; bake until pale golden, 13–15 minutes.
- Remove paper and weights and bake until golden brown, 8–10 minutes more; let cool.
Make the filling
- Lower oven to 300°.
- Whisk labneh, sugar, vanilla, salt, and eggs in a bowl until smooth; pour filling into crust.
- Bake until just set in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
If you are pressed for time, substitute a prepared pie crust. Then the time needed to make this is about 10 minutes of prep and the 20 minutes of baking. Adapted from Saveur Magazine #163
The goose egg will fill my hand, while I can hold 3 or 4 of the chicken eggs!
Since I had the Kamado grill going, I just baked the tart on the grill with a heat diffuser underneath. The tart is almost ready here! It had just finished rising and had about 5 minutes to finish firming up.
After it sat for about 30 minutes, this is what greeted us:
And of course, the final glamor shot – ready to wow guests and birthday wife!