Here’s 3 great heirloom pumpkin recipes that we have used and enjoyed. Too often people think of pumpkin in a strictly Halloween or pumpkin pie way, when there are so many other unique and wonderfully tasty ways to enjoy it. Pumpkin is not only a fall or winter vegetable, but can be frozen or stored in a cold cellar environment for several months, in addition to the traditional canning. Please try these, enjoy and tell us what you think!
Pumpkin Soup with Chipotle Chile
- 3 Lbs pumpkin
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3 Leeks white parts only-finely sliced
- 2 large shallots minced
- 5 scallions finely sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbs fresh ginger minced
- 1 Tbs pureed chipotle en adobo
- 8 cups rich chicken stock- can use 4 cups stock and 4 of water for lighter flavor
- 3 Tbs fresh thyme leaves or 1 Tbs dried
- 1-2 cups heavy cream to taste
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cut pumpkin in half, scrape out and save seeds, peel and cut into 1 inch cubes on heavy cookie sheet or roasting pan. Roast in oven at 400F for 20-30 minutes. If skin is very tough, add 1/4 cup of water to pan while roasting.
- Saute leeks, shallots and scallions in butter in a large heavy pot for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chipotle en adobo, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin, stock and thyme.
- Slow simmer for 45 minutes, until pumpkin is very soft.
- Puree in small batches in blender or food processor and return to pot.
- Add cream, taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper as needed.
Warm Pumpkin Salsa
- 2/3 cup small diced fresh pumpkin
- 1/3 cup small diced tart apple- Granny Smith etc.
- 2 medium red onions diced small
- 1 1/3 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 1/4 Tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp ground red chile
- 1/4 Tsp fresh ground cumin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2-3 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tsp minced red jalapeno chile- can use green jalapeno
- 1 Tbs chopped chives
- 2 Tbs roasted/salted pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the pumpkin, apple and onion in canola oil in a heavy pan over medium heat until onion is slightly browned.
- Deglaze the pan with Marsala wine.
- Add spices, orange juice and brown sugar, cook over low heat until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Add apple cider vinegar, reduce slightly.
- Remove from heat, add jalapenos, chives and pumpkin seeds.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed.
Pumpkin Soup with Sage
- 1 small pumpkin- about 5 lbs.
- 4 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 18 fresh sage leaves and 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 9 shallots halved lengthwise
- Quarter, seed and peel pumpkin, rub with olive oil and roast on baking sheet in 350F oven for 30 minutes, or until soft. Allow to cool.
- In a heavy stock pot, melt 4 Tbs butter, then brown onions and garlic over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add pumpkin to mixture, continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and slow simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in food processor or blender until just smooth.
- Return to pot, thinning with water if too thick. Keep soup warm on lowest flame and heat diffuser if needed.
- Heat vegetable oil and fry sage leaves until just crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Add to soup and keep warm.
- Drain oil, melt remaining 2 Tbs butter over medium heat and cook shallots until soft and golden, about 15 minutes.